Thursday, September 17, 2009

The family that gets sick together, stays together, right?

I started to write about when we had which colds or sicknesses this month but I don't think I could keep track of it all. I know there was a weekend where all six of us had a cold and we sat around our increasingly messy family room and watched movies. Then this past weekend and this week we've all, except for my husband, been hit with Influenza A which is assumed to be the H1N1 virus or in other words the Swine Flu. I'm still confused about whether Oona and Gemma had a cold last weekend or if they had the flu or if they're getting the flu now but their cases are more mild than their brothers which could be the case since they're both taking Tamiflu. Both Oona and Gemma went to my friend's house to be babysat last Saturday, in spite of the fact that Gemma had a goopy nose and Oona had a low grade fever all weekend. Nobody in my friend's family have gotten sick which makes me think Oona and Gemma just had a cold. But then even this week, their fevers haven't been as high as their brothers who have had fevers up to 102. Anyway, the general report is that this flu is like a flu but is not that big of a deal and though we all feel gross, we're not close to needing to be hospitalized or anything. The boys got sick on Sunday and have been out of school four days. We spent $100 in co-pays at the doctor with all four kids at the doctor at once in one room (an adventure, let me tell you...) on Monday and then another $200 in prescriptions - Tamiflu for all six of us, cough syrup with codeine, and Oona also had an ear infection and wheezing in her lungs so she got antibiotic and nebulizer treatments. I've cancelled two days of work. And we've watched The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Shrek, Shrek 2, Princess Diaries, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, etc, ad nauseum in an attempt to get healthy - resting in front of the TV. I'm looking forward to swallowing without it hurting. But other than that, could be worse! And we have had a lot of family bonding time...

Also, I finished a cowl (knitting) and a wrap/shawl (crochet). Sorry I don't have picture yet. I already gave the cowl to its recipient and the wrap/shawl needs some serious blocking before pictures will do it justice.

Best in health to all and if you do get the flu, fluids and rest and vitamin c and tylenol so you can sleep and medical intervention if necessary. I think the news reports have been really scary about H1N1 but from where I'm sitting, it's not so very terrible, not worse than the regular flu, and now I'm getting immunity which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment